5 Useful Guidelines for Choosing The Best Budget Beating Holiday Accommodations With Star Ratings
So Many Choices in Holiday Accommodation: Start here!
One of the largest expenses when travelling abroad is holiday accommodation and while you’re away you want the type of comfort you are accustomed to without blowing your holiday budget.
With such a huge variety of accommodation options wherever you plan to visit, some tips will help you get exactly what you want at a budget beating price and without compromising on creature comforts.
Let’s go over some accommodation tips covering all types of choices:
1) Backpacking, Hostels and Dorms: Choose the small dorms in hostels which are preferable over large ones even if they are more expensive. You may still end up sharing with someone but you can get some great travel information from your roommates.
Do research to make sure the hostel, youth centre or backpacking hotel is reputable and double check bookings in advance before leaving for your next destination each time.
2) For low-cost options, you could try to get holiday accommodation as near to the airport as possible if you don’t want to rent a car while on holiday. Check whether the hotel has a shuttle service or taxis available.
Something to consider in this case is that not all airports are located in the best areas of the cities and there may be a lot of noise from aircraft activity. Although you will find them cheap and comfortable you may have to endure the noise.
3) The location of accommodation plays a large part in what you will pay. All Hotels, Resorts and holiday rentals, will always charge a premium rate in exchange for the convenience of their location, close to beaches, holiday activities and amenities. For a good example why not check the prices for holiday accommodation on or close to the a resort such as Disney Land in comparisons to others on the outskirts of towns or cities.
4) Choose accommodations relative to the tours and activities you have planned for your holidays. For example, if you are going together as a family you will enjoy much better use of your limited vacation time by making sure the travel distances between the tours and attractions is as short as possible. If you want to see the sights in London for example, then get accommodation as close as possible to these sights.
5) Stars aren’t everything when you choose holiday accommodation . Even one-star hotels resorts and hostels are clean, have great services and good food. When you are staying for a longer duration while abroad go down a few stars and you will find an enormous difference in rates.
Other options to consider are the comparisons between all-inclusive and self-catering. You get what you pay for, and often a lot of amenities and facilities you might not even use but will still pay for them regardless.
What do the Star Ratings Mean in Holiday Accommodation?
You can always trust large established chains such as The Hilton or other well-known brand resorts, but do your homework when choosing accommodation because smaller independent chains with fewer stars also have their merits besides being infinitely cheaper.
Although the star rating system was created to help guests and tourists judge how good a hotel is, these days many people read the reviews and take these as gospel rather than look at what the accommodation offers.
Star ratings indicate the level of services, comfort and standards a guest can expect, recognized worldwide and rated from 1 – 5.
Stars are allocated to accommodation according to the quality of service, facilities and amenities, the size and condition of rooms, furnishings and the food. They are also given according to safety and security standards of the buildings, efficiency of staff and services for guests. We have used beach Accommodation options in Spain for some comparisons in star ratings.
1 Star Rated Accommodations.
These are down to earth hotels and resorts or motels offering guests practical accommodation. They will offer you the basics and sometimes the ablution facilities will be communal.
One star accommodation is very cheap in most instances and a bargain for those on tight budgets that are not worried about en-suite.
Before paying, first check the rooms and facilities because you don’t want the bed bugs to bite. Also check the location is in a safe area of the town or city.
2 Star Rated Accommodations.
Although many hotels, motels and smaller resorts offer en-suite facilities there are still a few where you might have to share a shower and bathrooms with other guests.
Most will offer comfortable furnishings and television as well as options for bed and breakfast.
3 Star Accommodations Ratings
As with going up in ratings almost all of these offers private bathrooms, HD and comfortable furnishings. Some may offer mini bars and additional vending machines for free ice and snacks.
These days 3 stars accommodations come with improved services and facilities, inclusive bed and breakfast, improved staff service and room cleaning. Resorts, hotels and motels are always in competition with one another and will go out of their way to get good reviews from guests.
4 Star Rating Accommodations
With four-star hotels, resorts and other accommodation you can expect a bit more luxury. All of these offer spacious rooms with private bathrooms, quality linens and great locations. Look forward to higher level services, emphasis on quality dining facilities, including room service and cleaning, dry cleaning.
5 Star Accommodations Top of the Log
It doesn’t really need to be said that this accommodation is simply the best. The interiors and rooms will be of the highest standard possible to treat guests with pampering and luxury.
Stylishly furnished rooms with services for guests unsurpassed. Five star means that nothing is too much for guests and there will always be room service, luxury amenities, jacuzzis, spas, massages, a gym and other useful services available.
5 stars mean flawless services and high standards to make sure guests are always happy with everything. We all know 5 stars are the best and naturally, the affordability might not be favorable.
These holiday accommodation star ratings are a general guide to what you should expect while choosing accommodation.
Even so, sometimes lower star rated accommodation are also top class, treating guests with everything of the highest possible standard. Of course all of them want a 5-star review from guests as this is good for future business.
With so many hotel chains and resorts in so many different countries there can often be a lack of consistency in hotel ratings. Sometimes a 2-star hotel in a certain country will make you feel as if you are staying in a 4-star hotel because the services and facilities were fabulous.
It can go either way where a top class hotel gives you less than what you were expecting and what they have been rated for.
Some Help to Make Holiday Accommodation Choices.
Today, reviews go a long way in helping people choose the accommodation they want. Another great solution is to ask trusted friends or colleagues that have travelled and what they recommend.
You can also do some research online about the hotel with Google.
Reviews are a great watchdog to find great accommodation but beware even these are often negative because as the saying goes, you can’t please everyone all of the time.
Negativity for small issues is quite common and often damaging to the reputation but in reality, the hotel was still great holiday accommodation because some people are never satisfied with anything.
It really isn’t difficult to see between the lines and choose with confidence, as long as you use the tools at your disposal and prepare in advance with a bit of extra effort.